Two decades into their journey as ritualistic black metal conjurers, WOLVES IN THE THRONE ROOM have emerged from the forest with “Primordial Arcana”, their most majestic album to date, and their first release via Century Media Records (outside of USA and Canada) and Relapse Records (USA and Canada) out August 20th.
In the visuals WOLVES IN THE THRONE ROOM are taking us on a journey through Cascadia, a bioregion that has been highly influential for the band’s aesthetics and sound. From the forests in “Mountain Magick” and rivers and streams in “Spirit of Lightning” we are following them to the ocean in their latest video for “Primal Chasm (Gift of Fire)”. Watch it below.
The band comments: “’Primal Chasm (Gift of Fire)’ is an explosion of cosmic grandeur, a symphonic rendering of the hermetic maxim As above, so below. The lyrics are a dreamtime retelling of creation. The act of the universe creating itself comes from the same impulse—it all springs from the same source, the same union of fire and ice. It’s the interplay between polarized opposites, and it’s from their contradiction and chaos that life happens and music and the planets are created.”
“Primordial Arcana” is the band’s first completely self-contained work: In addition to composition and performance, brothers Aaron and Nathan Weaver alongside guitarist Kody Keyworth handled all aspects of recording, producing and mixing at their own Owl Lodge Studios in the woods of Washington state.
The album title “Primordial Arcana” is a reference to the band’s ongoing reach back to the most ancient, archetypal energies. Leadoff track “Mountain Magick” sets the august tone with alpine guitar melodies cresting skyward in triumph. “Spirit of Lightning” returns briefly to the earthly plane as a tribute to the human connections forged in music. Meanwhile, “Primal Chasm (Gift of Fire)” is an explosion of cosmic grandeur, a symphonic rendering of the hermetic maxim “as above, so below” as envisioned by Keyworth. In fact, “Primordial Arcana” is the first WOLVES IN THE THRONE ROOM record in which Kody was a part of the writing process from the start, so it benefits from his background in cosmic funeral doom.
Always uncompromising, “Primordial Arcana” sees WOLVES IN THE THRONE ROOM stay true to their unique vision. An album born out of the DIY ethos, “Primordial Arcana” proves to be the band’s most genuine and focused. One of the year’s most ambitious recordings, “Primordial Arcana” cements WOLVES IN THE THRONE ROOM’s legacy as one of US Black Metal’s most daring, unique, and quintessential bands.
“Primordial Arcana” is out August 20 via Century Media Records outside of USA/Canada and available in the following formats with the Ltd. Gatefold 2LP & LP-Booklet & Poster variants being cut to 45rpm and coming with an additional track, “Skyclad Passage”. The first vinyl colors are sold out already, so don’t sleep on getting one.
- Ltd. Gatefold olive green 2LP & LP-Booklet & Poster (limited to 1.600)
- Ltd. Gatefold deep blood red 2LP & LP-Booklet & Poster (limited to 1.000) only available at Kings Road Merch Europe (Official Store)
- Ltd. Gatefold clear 2LP & LP-Booklet & Poster (limited to 300) available at Distro Wholesale EU
- Ltd. Gatefold dark green 2LP & LP-Booklet & Poster (limited to 200) only available at Supreme Chaos – LOW NUMBERS
- Ltd. Gatefold transp. light blue 2LP & LP-Booklet & Poster (limited to 200) only available at Evil Greed – SOLD OUT
- Ltd. Gatefold creamy white 2LP & LP-Booklet & Poster (limited to 200) only available at EMP and Nuclear Blast – SOLD OUT
- Ltd. brown LP & LP-Booklet (limited to 300) available at all UK Indie outlets
- Ltd. transp. sun yellow LP & LP-Booklet (limited to 200) only available at Consouling Sounds – LOW NUMBERS
- Ltd. CD Mediabook
- Digital Album
First preorders are up under the following location.